Berlin – Evangelische Elisabeth Klinik
The Evangelische Elisabeth Klinik (Protestant Elisabeth Hospital) is considered the second largest hospital in Berlin and the oldest hospital of Paul Gerhardt Diakonie. In 1837, Pastor Johannes Gossner founded the hospital at Lützowstrasse, the same location where it still is today. In 1840, the hospital was named after its patroness, then Queen Elisabeth.
During the 60s of the 19th century, the hospital was at the same time also used as a Deaconess Mother House. Protestant sisters were trained in nursing care and then sent to other fields of profession. In 1867, the old hospital building was replaced by a new building, were numerous patients received medical care for 70 years.
Most of the hospital was destroyed in the final days of the Second World War. An arduous reconstruction began. In 1969, the executive committee of the association concluded a management agreement with the former Elisabeth Deaconess and Hospital Foundation and this agreement lead to a take-over some years ago.
Today, the Evangelische Elisabeth Klinik is a state-of-the-art hospital in the immediate neighborhood of Potsdamer Platz and stands for first-rate medical and nursing services.