Braunschweig – Ev.-Luth. Diakonissenanstalt Marienstift
The Marienstift was founded by the "Vaterländischer Frauenverein" (patriotic women's association) chaired by the wife of the Minister of State Von Campe on May 8, 1870.
The diaconal institution was named after the mother of the then ruling Duke Wilhelm, Duchess Marie née Prinzess-Durlach.
The deaconess institution was founded in order to train nurses to be able to treat the wounded in case of a possible war. Due to the beginning industrialization, there was also an urgent need for community nurses.
Today, the foundation operates the largest geriatric care facility in Brunswick for 261 people, a hospital for basic care with 163 beds in the clinic for internal medicine with focus on palliative care and an outpatient palliative care team (SAPV) and besides the surgical hospital also a clinic for hand surgery for people with congenital deformities and a clinic for gynecology and obstetrics.
Today, besides accommodating the administration in the building, the mother house with the Theodor Fliedner Church and the Diaconal Gallery has, among other things, developed into a center for training and further education.