Karlsruhe - Ev. Diakonissenanstalt Karlsruhe-Rüppurr
The Protestant Deaconess Institution was founded on the first Sunday in Advent in 1851 by some men and women in Karlsruhe, who were members of an ecclesiastical revivalist movement in Baden and as such considered themselves responsible for overcoming social and spiritual hardship, particularly for sick people. It began with five sisters.
A building was purchased in the center of Karlsruhe, close to the Mühlburg Gate, which provided space for 12 patients. In the year 1931, the first stone was laid for a new building in Karlsruhe-Rüppurr, because the location in the center of town did no longer provide space for expansion. From 1933 through 1964, the work was carried out at two different locations until both sites were consolidated with the construction of the new women's hospital in Karlsruhe-Rüppurr in 1964.
The Protestant Deaconess Institution currently operates a central care hospital, which is also a training hospital for the University of Freiburg. Besides emergency care services in the different clinics, the institution also operates a rehabilitation facility for geriatric patients.
Old people in need of care find a home in the retirement home Rudolf-Walter-Haus.
With the Deaconess Community and the Diakonie Community, the Ev. Diakonissenanstalt Karlruhe-Rüppurr comprises two diaconal communities.