Wetzlar – Königsberger Diakonissen-Mutterhaus der Barmherzigkeit auf Altenberg
The Königsberg Diakonissen-Mutterhaus der Barmherzigkeit auf Altenberg (Deaconess Motherhouse of Mercy) can look back on a history of more than 165 years.
The Hospital of Merci at Hinterer Rossgarten was founded on May 18, 1850. In 1925, they had 949 sisters, working at 300 outposts. The end of the Second World War brought unspeakable suffering for the Mother House and the Sisterhood too.
The Mother House was offered several possibilities for a new settlement. They finally decided upon the former for the Altenberg Monastery which had been secularized in 1803 and large parts of it had burned down in 1952. Ten years after the end of the war a new beginning was made by moving the Mother House from Berlin to Altenberg near Wetzlar.
With the sisterhood growing older, the Mother House turned its attention to tasks in geriatric care end developed this work independently and later also in cooperation with other diaconal sponsors. Besides the Mother House in Altenberg, five nursing homes, four residential compounds, one therapy center and one day-care nursing center for elderly people, have been built or acquired in the past 35 years.